Thursday, March 29, 2018

My Personal Numerology

We had just one mother but she was a wonder 

Our two parents were creatures of the twenties
My dad, a jazz buff; my mom, a flapper

Three boys in our family
Steven, Peter, and myself
Steven and Peter had the most fun 

Baby Vicki arrived
And then there were four
Our parents showered her with affection 
Her older brothers, overcome by envy 

A total of five in Katja’s family
Her folks, Helen and Buck
Sister Ami, a social worker
Brother David, a marketing guy
And Katja, a Romance Language beauty

My family had six altogether 
Vic and Doris, Dave Steve Peter Vicki
We lived together on the riverbank
Rode our bikes two miles to school
Swam all day long in the summertime
And rough-housed with our Irish setters, Mike and Micki

I spent seven young years in grade school
One year at Boswell, then Washington, the rest 
I walked through snow and ice to Boswell School
Learned to spell words and add numbers in Grade One
These were humongous steps in my life 
Glee club in Grade Four, but I was forbidden to sing out loud
I was captain of the Safety Patrol in Grade Six
Which annoyed all the rest of the boys

Later, a graduate student for eight long years
Social Psychology at the U. of M. 
I finished my classes in three or four years
Flunked one prelim but passed the rest
My dissertation took forever
Identity change in sensitivity training groups
I took a faculty job before finishing up
Then almost got fired for taking too long
This was not the most relaxing time

Katja and I, nine wonderful pets 
Four rabbits, Thumper, Moonbeam and Sunbeam, Blazer
Thumper lived to a ripe old age but
Blazer escaped and Moonbeam and Sunbeam were killed by roaming dogs
We’ve had five dogs in our married life
Heather, our sweet Shepherd puppy, died a tragic death
Our poodle, Jacques, was hit by a lumber truck
Winston, our Bedlington, lived till deaf, blind and demented
And sheepdogs Mike and Duffy were our recent sweethearts

Here are ten things I’ve done at least ten times in the last ten months 
Brushed my teeth, made the coffee, and read the paper
Played Spider Solitaire on the computer
Worked out at the fitness center
Written a poem
Bought Gato Negro Malbec ($4.99) at Clifton Market 
Hiked the Badlands Trail at Miami Whitewater Forest
Had a 5-way at Skyline Chili 
Went to my line dancing class
Friday night movies at the Esquire 
Read Superman and watched Frasier at bedtime 




No comments:

Post a Comment