Friday, April 6, 2018

Bombs Are On My Mind

              Hiroshima
          August 6, 1945
      the first atomic bomb
80,000 people died in place.

We learned about the A-bomb in our Weekly Reader. 
Harry Truman, Miss Zellinger said,
saved America from destruction.
She taught us about the 
peace-time wonders of atomic energy.
But what stuck in our child-minds —
the firestorms destroying all life on Earth.  

Fourth grade, we had monthly atomic bomb drills
First, we put away all pencils and erasers. 
Then we hid our heads under our desks.
No one understood just why.  
Deeny-Boy thought
maybe radiation can’t go through wood. 

The nineteen-fifties, the superpower arms race.
In my U.P. hometown many believed
we were a likely target of a Russian A-bomb.
From high in the sky, the elders said, we were easily mistaken for
the St. Lawrence Seaway.
If the Russian bombers were off by only a smidgeon…
So long, Menominee County!

My father and Uncle Lars came to a decision.
Our family needed  an @&%*#! atomic bomb shelter.
So, in the basement of my grandfather’s drugstore
they outfitted our room.    
Canned foods, bottled water, graham crackers,
plates and silverware, dish towels, Brillo pads,
flashlights, matches and candles,
extra underwear and socks,
pillows, towels, blankets,
empty paper bags,
comic books, crossword puzzles,
and lastly a portable toilet.

Uncle Lars argued strongly that we needed rifles
in case the townspeople
tried to force their way into our space.  
My father was ambivalent about
killing our neighbors.
So they never did bring in the rifles.

Skip ahead a few years.
My wife and I, students in Ann Arbor.
October 22nd, 1962, the Cuban Missile crisis.
Nuclear war in the offing.
We were dangerously close to Detroit, a prime target.
Fear, cold sweats.
We thought about driving to the U.P.
to our family bomb shelter.
But then I remembered 
the St. Lawrence Seaway
so we hunkered down with our dog.

Many decades passed
and I almost forgot about atomic bombs.
But now we have a president
who threatens nuclear war with North Korea.
From the air Cincinnati could easily be mistaken for Detroit.
Or Pittsburgh.
Or Cleveland.
   
And we don’t have a family bomb shelter any more.

But at least I learned how to

hide my head under

my desk. 



No comments:

Post a Comment