Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Deathly Musings

I happened upon death at the age of four
Lying flat on our lawn, a dead crow
My cousin said I’d be dead one day
That’s more than I wanted to know

Then I was eight and in the third grade
Mr. Perkins, our crossing guard, died
We stared at his corpse at the funeral home
Couldn’t rouse him as hard as we tried

I asked my father, “What happens when we die?”
He said that we don’t know for sure
Skipper explained you get eaten by worms
And then you turn into manure

Frankie said no, you fly up to Heaven
Dead relatives are waiting to greet you
That might be good, it might be bad
I had uncles and aunts who’d mistreat you

I don’t believe much in an afterlife
We’re like frogs, we just die and that’s that
My mother always hoped that we’d be together
Not just us but her dogs and her cat

I’m sure that death’s not like a party
And definitely not a trip to Cancun
It’s probably more like an empty black hole
Or an unending Philip Glass tune

Death does get more worrisome the older I get
Some days it seems right around the corner
My funeral is actually what bothers me most
So embarrassing if I don’t have a mourner

And it’s not even death by itself that’s so bad
It’s the dying that is the real bummer
Sometimes it’s quick and sometimes it’s slow
It’s best not to take the whole summer

Death’s a no-brainer for those who are dead
It’s more troubling for those left behind
Once in a while it’s a pleasant event
It depends upon one’s state of mind

In truth, there are quite a few perks to one’s death
You are done with the shots and the pills
No chance you’ll get stuck in a traffic jam
And Visa stops sending its bills

Much more could be said about death
Like pestilence or nuclear war
But I think I will look on the bright side
Make a list of life’s wonders galore





No comments:

Post a Comment