Monday, December 19, 2016

What Is Life Like Exactly?

Life is a lot like a movie
A beginning, a middle, an end
The beginning is more or less groovy
But I’d say the end’s where you mend

My childhood was much like a Three Stooges short     
Curly bopping poor Moe on the bean         
Our parents did their best to give us support
But we children thought it fun to be mean

My teen years were more like those Beach Party flicks
Frankie A. and Annette Funicello
Knuckle-headed guys and bikini-clad chicks
It’s too bad I was such a shy fellow

In college I acted out pure John Belushi
All-night poker and free-flowing beer
We ate cold pizza and Japanese sushi
It’s amazing I found a career

My thirties were mostly a comedy horror story
The zombies lived right down the hall
Conflicts at work often bordered on gory
I tried to stay out of the brawl

Middle age became a film noir mystery
Charlie Chan or maybe Sam Spade
I struggled to make sense of my personal history
And feared that my dreams were to fade

My sixties were more like a slow British pic          
The scenes were offbeat and quirky               
I showed up for work and played out my shtick
I was lucky my spouse was more perky

Retirement has been a song and dance show
Ginger Rogers and vintage Astaire
Their dancing technique was to go with the flow
And treat life as a glamorous affair

This year seems most like a travelogue
I take classes at UC through OLLI
We learn everything about Paris or Prague
But the poems are what keep us jolly



No comments:

Post a Comment