Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Pearly Gates

I dreamt I was standing at the Pearly Gates
Getting in was a very long wait
Millions of spirits arrive every day
It’s a chore to decide each one’s fate

I wasn’t quite sure how they did things
But from everything I could tell
You meet St. Peter and he decides
If you’re headed for Heaven or Hell

When I got to the gate I pressed the bell
Two angels welcomed me in
They gave me a ten-page form and said
To list all my good deeds and sin

I had some trouble in the Good Deeds part
Even though I went through my whole life
I take out the garbage on Monday nights
But I leave all the rest to my wife

I had more success when I got to Part Two
A list of my sins filled ten pages
I teased and tortured my brother for years
And I told blatant lies at all ages

St. Peter came in the moment I finished
I would say he is six feet two
With a long white beard, a halo, a robe
And a fairly bedraggled hairdo

I watched St. Peter as he scoured my list
Each page he got more of a frown
He looked at the sky and he shook his head
My heart stopped when he pointed straight down

Your score, said St. Peter, is a minus nine
But for Heaven one needs a plus six
He led me to an elevator near the door
Pressed the button for the River Styx

As the elevator dropped, I woke from my dream
Relieved that I still have some time
I’ll start my good deeds in a week or two
And I plan to record each in rhyme



No comments:

Post a Comment