Monday, November 21, 2016

The Ballad of the Dark-Haired Girl

I’ll never forget that September day
When I first saw the dark-haired girl
She stood on the lawn across the way
One glance and I felt my head swirl

The freshman mixer had begun the year
The huge crowd had made me feel wary
The dark-haired girl was a source of my fear
Though I daydreamed that one day we’d marry

I saw the dark-haired girl every once in a while
In the spring she was in a French play
I was totally smitten by her genuine smile
But to speak to her, there was no way

One year later I went on a trip
To Milwaukee to visit some friends
On my arrival I felt my heart skip
Fate offers such strange turns and bends

The dark-haired girl was there with my friends
That was so unlikely and scary
I talked with her about odds and ends
Then I told her my dream that we’d marry

The dark-haired girl gave an angry look
She said, “That’s the worst line I’ve heard!”
She seemed to think me a nitwit or crook
And she took off in flight like a bird

That was almost six decades ago
A precipitous time in my life
I often think back to the dark-haired girl  
Even now I’m amazed she’s my wife


No comments:

Post a Comment