Sunday, November 13, 2016

Leave Her to Heaven

Last week I watched “Leave Her to Heaven”
They released it soon after the war
I was only eight when I saw it then
It rattled me right to my core

Gene Tierney played a woman named Ellen
She married the love of her life
Glamorous, poised, and elegant
She was Richard’s true dream of a wife

But jealousy was her unfortunate flaw
And, of course, she was also psychotic
She murdered an in-law and her unborn son
Their marriage turned dark and chaotic

When Richard finally came to his senses
He left his wife barely in time
Then Ellen promptly did herself in
Framing him and her sister for the crime

I don’t even know why I saw this film
My dad was away in the Pacific
I claimed I was going to Donald Duck
Instead I watched carnage horrific

The movie, of course, nearly scared me to death
I was terrified by a character so vicious
Everyone was fooled by her good looks and grace
Not even her husband was suspicious

I suffered from nightmares for weeks on end
All my dreams had to do with my mother
She’d beckon us to her with a loving smile
Then decapitate me and my brother

I woke every day in a pool of sweat
Heart pounding and breath erratic
I scanned my room in sheer terror
Life at home was completely traumatic

I’d always thought mothers were perfect
Affectionate, loving, and kind
But now I’d seen Ellen kill loved ones
The thought of it blew my young mind

I started watching my mother each day
She’d always seemed decent enough
But now I could see she’d get grumpy   
And even border on gruff

I think of one time with my brother
He had broken our mother’s new vase
Her eyes got squinty, she raised her voice
Was that murder I saw on her face?

Despite my worst fears, you can see I’m still here
And all of my siblings were spared
I admit there’ve been times that I’ve been confused
But with murder it’s best to stay scared

I’m glad I saw “Leave Her to Heaven” again
Such a realistic picture of life
My mother’s no longer a part of this world
But I’ve learned to watch out for my wife



No comments:

Post a Comment