Saturday, October 27, 2018

Jack and Jill: An Afterword

Jack and Jill went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after
(Anon., 17th century)

Oh Jill, sweet Jill, how could you?
How could you push me down that hill?
I banged my head, I bruised my toe 
A bumpy, frightening spill    

Oh Jack, dear friend, I feel for you
But you were pawing at me 
I pushed you away to protect myself
Then you tripped on a rock, you see

But we climbed that hill to kiss and hug 
There’s no water on top of a hill
Why would you go there if not to kiss?  
Girls’ moods befuddle me still  

No water on top of the hill?
So why did we bring your pail?
I held your arm to rescue you
Then I too tumbled down the trail 

You held my arm to rescue me?
here i feared you were doing me in 
Oh Jill, this fills me with such relief 
The thought of it makes my head spin 

Oh Jack, you are such a silly boy 
But you mustn’t grab girls by force
If you ever in life hope to get a kiss
Please stop being boorish and coarse 

O.K., Jill, I’ll see you soon

O.K.,  Jack, see you later  




No comments:

Post a Comment