Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Inner Walls

My inner walls are crumbling
I can feel them straining in the dark of night
Or at the movie house
when some fleeting image on the screen
sparks a latent memory
and it spurts right out
stabbing at my throat and chest
I utter an involuntary sigh
and my wife whispers
“What’s the matter?”
and I shake my head
pretending I didn’t hear  

There is a secret room
at the back of my brain
that I have used since infancy
to bury certain thoughts and feelings
Painful happenings
Embarrassments
Distressingly stupid acts
A lie I once told to a girl
How I nearly harmed my two-year-old
The time I nearly killed us all on the turnpike
Past moments of agony and regret 
Locked away, sealed off

But now in my penultimate years
my arteries are brittle
and this room has gotten so crowded
so packed with refuse
that the walls are starting to crack
or even burst wide open
At first I tried desperately 
to hold them together
But now I’ve come to realize
that maybe I should let the bad stuff out 
Poke at it, massage it 
Turn it this way and that
To accept the whole package
Warts, pustules, and all







No comments:

Post a Comment