Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Age Eighty

I never imagined I’d reach age eighty
though my grandfather did this and so did my dad
Implications of eighty are many and weighty
Most days I’m happy, the other days I’m sad

One thing that strikes me, I’d have to say
Eighty’s not as old as it used to be
I always though it meant loss and decay
But actually now I feel more and more free

There are things about eighty that most call scary
Like cancer and heart disease and terrible strokes
Also your ears and your nose get more hairy
And the wise guys make jokes about older folks

At eighty you’ve used up a lot of your life
Of course you could also say that of fifty
My life is now quieter, less filled with strife
Though one more decade would also be nifty

I think I’ll make ninety my next life goal
and walk at least ten thousand steps a day
A glass of red wine is the best for the soul
And poems help chase the demons away 



No comments:

Post a Comment