Sunday, April 23, 2017

Lamentations of a Dutch Boy at the Peasant Wedding Feast (with thanks to Pieter Bruegel the Elder)




Woe is me, Oh woe is me
This wedding is pointless and crazy
My sister has married a maniac
He’s not only brutish but lazy

I’m the only boy at this wedding
Why are they torturing me?
Yorick is out playing soccer
I’d cut off my nose to be free

I thought that the preacher would never stop
And then he invited them to kiss
People shouldn’t do stuff in public
Especially if kissing my sis

And what will they do on their wedding night?
Yorick claims they both will get nude
I myself don’t think that would happen
My sister has said that’s so lewd

The food at this wedding is awful
I’m tired of eating pigs’ tails
The kidney soup had the strangest smell
Even worse were those rabbit entrails

I’ve seen that young girl at the table before
Hilda, I think, is her name
I could ask her to sit and talk with me
But probably she’d say that’s too lame

Old Lars de Groot is off by himself
Yorick says that he’s losing his mind
He’s wearing his trousers inside out
So his front is at his behind

Mrs. De Vries is talking too loud
She thinks that she’s ever so clever
But no one has heard a single word
She tells the same story forever

Mr. De Jong looks so gloomy
His wife ran away with a stranger
They say his house has fallen apart
I heard he sleeps in the manger

This music is made for old fogies
The bagpipes are scorchy and squeaky
We’re in the sixteenth century, you know
You’d think they’d play something less freaky

My father has drunk too much liquor
The grin on his face is so sappy
My mother is flirting with the butcher
What on earth has made her so happy?

All in all, the adults are boring
They sit and they guzzle and chat
I’m tired of hearing about weather and crops
Or how Mayor de Groot got so fat

I doubt if I’ll ever get married
If I do, I hope it’s Matilda
Of course, Matilda’s quite popular
That’s why I should go and meet Hilda




No comments:

Post a Comment