Saturday, April 15, 2017

Pencil Tale

We got our pencils September seventh
The very first day of first grade
That very moment we joined the big kids
My new pencil, I felt less afraid
My pencil was a Ticonderoga
Actually, Ticonderoga No. 2
No one ever saw a No. 1
They must have produced just a few
The lead in my pencil was black as coal
Its wood, more yellow than the sun
The tip had a perfect eraser
Any errors were quickly undone

Our teacher had rules about pencils
Never run with a pencil in your hand
Don’t poke or stab at your classmates
And carving on desktops is banned

The bad kids chewed on their pencils
The shaft would be covered with bites
Their pencils, they claimed, still worked perfectly fine
But that was the saddest of sights

The sharpener was mounted by the blackboard
We asked for permission to use it
Some of the boys tried to make lots of noise
Our teacher, Miss Gries, would excuse it

With my pencil I learned to write cursive
First “A’s” and then “B’s” and then “C’s” 
By Christmas I wrote my entire first name
Though sometimes I had backward “D’s” 

The U.S. had entered the World War
My father was in the Pacific
With my pencil I drew pictures of Hitler
That helped to calm feelings horrific

I also drew hearts with my pencil
Each one said “DL + MC”
“MC” stood for Mary Carter
The winner of our class spelling bee

My pencil did other amazing things
I’d add numbers and also subtract
I learned how to draw a cat and a fish
And locate my house on a map

June came and my pencil had shrunk to a stub
It was only five-eighths of an inch
Saying goodbye brought a tear to my eye
As we know, first grade is no cinch





No comments:

Post a Comment