Monday, August 5, 2024

A TRIP TO MENOMINEE

 

A ten-hour road trip to Farm 
Day One, through Chicago and Milwaukee 
Finally a motel in Sheboygan 
And only one eighty-two fifty 

The Marinette Best Western, our local respite 
A grand view of my home town’s skyline 
Scrambled eggs and sausage each breakfast 
We slept like oak logs until nine 

Farm could be featured in “Better Homes and Gardens” 
Jim cleared a new space by the coop 
New roofs on most of the buildings 
A welcoming abode for our group 

Our parents’ presence was everywhere 
The organ refinished by Doris 
Vic’s photos, oils, and stained glass 
A paradise they passed on to us 

Jennifer, Wynn, and Ingrid drove here from Seattle
Jacob and Delphine flew in from Brooklyn 
Justin, Alex, and Leo traveled from NOLA 
Katja and I, the last to come in 

Justin has great fun with his cousins 
Many jokes, lots of laughter and smiles
An only child, his cuz are like siblings 
Well worth it to travel those miles 

The youth had their fun time at Farm 
Shooting B-B’s, riding bikes, doing art 
Alex and Leo and Ingrid and Delphine 
Growing up evermore and so smart 

Co-Co and Osa were also there 
Seattle poodles, filled with play 
They raced about, rolled over on their backs 
Delighting the humans every day 

Justin was teaching his kids to drive 
Back and forth on our road, M-3 Drive 
This struck me as a little bit scary 
But they both gave their dad a high-five 

Menominee’s the new home of six cannabis stores 
They’re lined up on Highway Forty-One 
I askedif I could buy a few gummies 
Katja scowled, “No way under the sun”

Justin brought us pasties for supper 
A reminder we were in the U.P. 
I have to conclude they were tasty 
Eaters gobbled them up with such glee. 

On Saturday we did all the yard sales 
A great buy, Katja’s colorful rooster 
Justin found me a Maroon tennis cap 
Now I’ll be an out-of-town booster 

We toured the Marinette thrift shops 
Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul 
One buck for a Menominee River T-shirt 
Plus “Oconto Golf”, quite a good haul 

We devoured our burgers at Mickey-Lu 
They’re voted the tastiest in the state 
Butter burgers and scrumptious buns 
Plus thick chocolate malts, flat-out great 

Main Street Antiques was thriving 
The top floor, Rusty Wolfe’s fine art 
I searched for Lundgren Drugstore bottles 
Once again my fruitless quest broke my heart

I love to cruise around the Loop 
The best part is Menekaunee 
I told the kids, there’s a murder each week 
I’m not totally sure they believed me 

Every day we hung out in the gazebo 
I’d say Jennifer’s the life of the party 
She reminds me a lot of her dad 
With the bonus that she’s much more arty 

Jim and Sharon paid us a visit 
The longstanding caretakers of Farm 
They keep the property shipshape 
And guard it from every kind of harm 

A family night out at Berg’s Landing 
A long-time tradition from Vic 
Walleye for me, filet mignon for Katja 
Berg’s continues to excel at their trick 

We did a quick tour of Henes Park 
The new bathhouse, a splendid addition 
The views of Green Bay are glorious 
John B. Henes accomplished his mission 

We accompanied Jacob to the river 
Vicki’s property was again looking swell 
We had a nice chat with neighbor Troy 
He still dreams that my sister might sell 

Jacob treated us to lunch at Jozwiak’s 
Their famous burger, the Wabash 
Vic and Doris’s favorite hangout 
Beer and burgers, they spent lots of cash 

Before we knew it, the time came to leave 
Tons of family photos in the front yard 
Hugs and kisses and sayonaras 
Goodbyes are always too hard 

I’m pleased that we came on this trip 
It keeps me in touch with my history 
The river, the bay, the forests, the town 
A world that enjoys its own mystery

No comments:

Post a Comment