Sunday, June 16, 2024

FATHER'S DAY

 

My father died in 1993. 
It’s been very strange all these years. 
not having a father. 
Actually kind of scary. 
My father took us to the drugstore after hours 
to eat all the ice cream we wanted. 
Towed us behind the car on the toboggan. 
Introduced us to Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman. 
Bought the World Book Encyclopedia to enlighten the youth. 
Also a Hammond Chord Organ. 
Let me charge all the gasoline I wanted 
at Cooney’s Standard Oil station. 
Taught me how to do water color and oil painting. 
Rowed the boat when 
we swam across the River to Pig Island. 
Hid quarters and dimes in the sofa 
where my siblings and I found them. 
Took our Christmas trees to the body shop 
and had them painted red or blue. 
Bought me my first camera, 
my microscope, 
a tape recorder. 
Took our family in the boat 
to Indian Island for picnics 
with our dog Mike swimming behind. 
Also to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. 
And the Chicago Art Institute. 
Erected a basketball hoop above the garage door. 
Took Steven and me on a trip to Mexico. 
Hired me as a drugstore clerk 
and paid me 25 cents an hour. 
Paid my way through Antioch College.  
Treated Katja and me to a French Riviera stay.
Held family reunions at Farm every August.  
I have to say Vic was a terrific dad. 
I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment