Wednesday, July 6, 2022

WRITING POETRY

 

Writing a poem is harder 
than walking the dog or 
raking the lawn. 
It’s more akin to 
painting a watercolor 
or cooking a souffle. 
The start’s the worst,  
the foreboding blank page. 
My first few lines are 
trite, blah, so discouraging, 
but I talk myself into persisting. 

I get most inspired when 
writing tales of my childhood. 
In truth, I was an unhappy child 
but in my dotage I permit 
only positive memories. 
My poetic aim is to provide myself 
with a more enjoyable youth. 

My most intractable problem is that 
I’m not naturally poetic. 
I write more like a bookkeeper 
or perhaps an airline pilot. 
Nothing emotional or ambiguous. 
Just clear and to the point. 
I do like to rhyme 
though that’s not in vogue. 
I write more freely 
after a shot or two of Irish whiskey. 
A little buzz loosens me up 
and I can always rewrite another time. 

Every morning I brush my teeth, 
take my pills, and then compose a limerick 
about an event from the previous day. 
My pre-coffee limericks 
are quick and raggedy 
but they remind me that poetry 
is part of my daily existence 
and that I have produced 
something tangible that no one 
has ever thought of before 
(no matter how measly).

No comments:

Post a Comment