Monday, April 6, 2020

The Wrong Button

Every few years
the cardiologist calls me in
to do a nuclear stress test
I get excited
They always are impressed
at how well I do on the treadmill 
Or so they say 
(They probably say this to everybody)
This last visit the technician said
my target heart range
because of my (quite advanced) age
would be one hundred twenty
No problem
I do that all the time at the gym
When I reached one twenty, he asked
how I was doing
and I said I’d like to do more
I’d like to set
a new personal record
He raised the incline
He jacked up the speed
Run run run run run
Run run run run run
When I reached 136 b.p.m. the technician said
“Oops, I pushed the wrong button
“I’m afraid we’ll to have to stop”
He said he was very sorry, but he’d
gotten all the data he needed
No need to start over
I was more sorry than he was
I wanted to beat my old record
And I don’t really believe
that he pushed the wrong button
He just said that
so that he could stop
without asking my permission
I’ve been practicing every day on the treadmill
Next time I plan to set an even higher record
No wrong buttons allowed  



No comments:

Post a Comment