Sunday, April 14, 2019

An Oedipal Dream

When my father departed 
to join the war in the Pacific 
I was appointed the man of the house
Sacred protector of my mother, my sister
even though I not yet reached seven

One day as we sipped lemonade in the garden 
a large hairy man with golden eyes 
charged toward us on his horse
It was Kublai Khan himself
He leapt from his fiery steed 
unleashing his double-edged sword

“Stay behind me”
I shouted to my loved ones
“I need no help”
A bronze saber magically appeared in my right hand
A shield in my left 
We engaged in furious battle
for an hour 
for two hours

Finally I saw my opening
Darted in, swung, slashed off Kublai Khan’s head
It fell with an empty thud at my feet
I hadn’t suffered a single cut or bruise
This moment, I realized, was the reason
I had been chosen to take my father’s place 



No comments:

Post a Comment