Monday, December 31, 2018

New Years Ruminations from a Nervous Person

New Years Eve and I, forever a bad fit 
We did do some parties in our younger days 
Katja enjoyed them all right
But I could never carry it off
Too many people, too many strangers
The chatter, the small talk, the manufactured laughter
Hats and horns and tootie toots 
Too much pressure to have the greatest time ever 
I don’t mind drinking too much
But the revelry does me in 
New Years, intrinsically, a bit traumatic
One year at its end point
All those unfulfilled dreams  
The omissions, the commissions
The bumps and bruises  
And then a brand New Year is about to begin 
A  minefield of hazards
Potential disasters   
No wonder the people are driven to drink
I tiptoe into this New Year 
I’ll have another bourbon on the rocks, please  



No comments:

Post a Comment