Wednesday, December 12, 2018

My Story. By Jack.

My mom and I cherish our cozy homestead
But last week she told me, “No money”
“We’ll have to sell Old Bess,” Mother said
Such a shock, that sweet cow is our honey

We left for the market, much to my distress
On the way I met a scraggly old man
He offered to trade magic beans for Old Bess 
I was thrilled, an encouraging plan

Back home I showed the magic beans to my mom
But she screamed, “You didn’t get our money???”  
I did my best to stay peaceful and calm
But she yelled at me, “This is not funny!”

I ran upstairs crying, crawled right into bed
Out the window went the beans, such a shock
I woke up at dawn with a feeling of dread
But there, in our yard, a huge stalk

I tossed on my trousers, my shirt, and my shoes
Up the bean stalk I started to climb
Two miles high, such astonishing views
In the distance, a castle sublime

Standing in the doorway, a tall lady giant  
With one big red eye on her head
I tried to act likable and compliant
One wrong step, I knew I’d be dead 

Suddenly loud crashes came from the yard
Her husband strode forth, some sixteen feet tall
His face was all ruddy and jagged and scarred
I raced to the closet at the end of the hall

The giant chanted, “Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum  
“I smell the blood of an Englishman
“Be he alive, or be he dead
“I'll have his bones to grind my bread!”

That creature sat down and reached into a keg
He pulled out a mangy white hen 
In seconds that hen laid a golden egg
Worth at least sixty shekels and ten

I stayed in the closet till the giant fell asleep
Then the hen and I raced down the walk
I think that dumb bird must have made a peep
For the giant saw us climb down the stalk

We scampered down that stalk as fast as we could
With the giant following closely behind us
I grabbed my axe, began chopping the wood
I could hear the big brute scream and cuss

At the very last second the stalk tumbled down
The giant cried out in grave fear
Then he crashed right down upon his bald crown
Giant’s end, we were now in the clear

Our hen supplies a golden egg every day
The first one, I bought back Old Bess
Mom, me, Bess, Hen — all contented I’d say
Is this a happy ending?  Well, yes!




No comments:

Post a Comment