Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Life's Vicissitudes: Three Sonnets

          Life Passions

Passions make up the gist of one’s life
At age ten it was comic books
Plus bikes and baseball cards and backyard strife
Like Hopalong battling the crooks

I took up hoops in junior high
Steve and I played for hour upon hour
Then tennis became my pie in the sky
And jazz gave me spiritual power

Most of these passions have faded from view
Late seventies, line dancing’s my craze
Poetry has its own fervor too
And workouts help anchor my days

There’s one obvious moral to this story
No passions, no meaning, no glory


          Morning Ritual
           
Our clock goes off at a quarter past eight
I lie awake, hear news on NPR
The nation’s now the opposite of great
I brush my teeth and ponder the bizarre

I go downstairs, fry bacon in a pan
Page through the Times and get news from the coast
The wall, the leaks, Sean S., and Kellyanne
All scrambled up amidst the eggs and toast

Computer on, I open up my mail
I check my tweets, perhaps send off a few
Then struggle with my poems — such travail
And play a game of solitaire or two

My sister asks, “Are all your days the same?”
They better be or else I’ll go insane!


          Misbegotten Youth

I wish that I could live a second life
I’d be more close to friends and to my dad
And, yes, be kind and caring to my wife
My brother Steve…I wouldn’t be so bad

I’d spend more time on learning how to dance         
And be a better student when in school
Perhaps I’d even take a trip to France                       
I’d be more careful toward the Golden Rule

Another thing, I’d never start to smoke
And likewise I’d imbibe a little less
I’d spend more time with different kinds of folk
I’d ferret out the secrets of less stress

Bad news, I know I’ll never get this chance
But, that’s okay, I still have time to dance



No comments:

Post a Comment