Thursday, February 9, 2017

My Life Is Made Up of Limericks

I retired some eight years ago
Stopping work was at first a big blow
We go to museums
Check out mausoleums
And, more or less, go with the flow 

Our number one trip is to NOLA
More refreshing than chilled Coca-Cola
The French Quarter’s grand
There’s a Zydeco band
It comes straight from a novel by Zola 

Our grandkids have reached eight years old
Each year they get more and more bold
Pokemon gives L esprit
Dogs are heaven to V
“You children are angels,” they’re told

Line dancing’s my current obsession
Each Tuesday I race to my session
Chilly Cha Cha’s the greatest
Uptown Funky, the latest
This fancy has cured my depression

My other whim’s poetry writing 
Making limericks can be so exciting
Except starting is hard
I am hardly a bard
And it take me long hours of rewriting
We go to the movies on Friday nights
Drawn like moths to the marquis lights
 We prefer our films arty
With plots that are hearty
And now and then a few vampire bites

I read the New York Times every morn
The news usually leaves me forlorn
Stories deal with Trump
How he acts like a chump
Then goes on to toot his own horn

In winter we watch more TV
It’s geared to the mind of a flea
The reality shows suck
Police dramas, sheer muck
And with Fox News, we’ll never agree

I go to the gym every week
With false dreams I’ll still reach my peak
I do the elliptical
Chanting mantras so cryptical
Even so, my physique’s like a geek

I have trouble when going to sleep
Despite counting a few thousand sheep
Ambien does do its work
Though it makes me berserk
 And they say that one’s sleep’s not so deep

Last night I tried out our iPad
Each screw-up I mumbled, “My bad!”
Google took me an hour
Then the darn thing lost power
I chucked it and thought, “Nice try, Lad” 

I am nervous getting closer to eighty
I’ve yet to see China or Haiti
Eighty seems pretty old
Life moves faster, I’m told
So we better get on with it, Matey



No comments:

Post a Comment