Wednesday, May 22, 2024

HOW I SEE IT

 


The populace has exploded in two. 
I call the survivors the Purples and the Yellows. 
The Purples are the reasonable folk, 
intelligent, informed, 
responsible, tolerant. 
The Yellows, the complete opposite. 
Ignorant, often insane, their leaders pure evil. 
The Purples prevail in our big city 
but we are hemmed in 
by towns and villages teeming with Yellows. 
I’ve quit doing small town day trips 
to my once favorite destinations. 
Lebanon, Waynesville, Burlington, Metamora. 
The crazies have over-run these places. 
I’m more and more wary of rural people, 
people with less than a college education, 
evangelical Christians, 
white people, (which, sad to say, is what I am), 
people from the Heartland 
(which, sadly, is where I am from), 
Ohioans (even worse). 
I size up strangers on the street. 
Are they Purples or Yellows? 
To be safe, I avoid eye contact. 
The strange thing is that 
my best friend neighbor 
thinks exactly the same way I do. 
Except that he says the Purples are evil 
and the Yellows are good.
Is it possible that we are both right?

No comments:

Post a Comment