Thursday, September 14, 2023

A VOICE FROM THE GRAVE

 

I shouted at the grave-diggers to stop 
as they lowered my coffin 
into the grave, 
but my vocal chords were frozen 
and down I went. 
The coffin plopped on the floor. 
I listened as the mourners 
tossed dirt onto the lid. 
Before long everyone had left 
and my tomb was silent. 
It’s chilly under the ground 
and remarkably boring. 
I started composing a list 
of virtuous things I’d done in life 
to see if I’m eligible for Paradise. 
To my dismay 
I remembered mainly 
cruel or heartless acts. 
I wish I could begin all over. 
In the meantime I wonder 
how long I have to lie here. 
Shouldn’t an angel be coming for me? 
No one tells you exactly 
what to expect after dying. 
Based on my experience so far, 
I’d say death is a bummer. 
My advice: 
Avoid it at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment