Saturday, November 12, 2022

WRESTLING WITH IKO

 

Our schnauzer is a world-class sleeper 
until I get up and get dressed 
whereupon he comes to the edge of the bed, 
leaps up on his hind legs, 
and paws ferociously at the air. 
Rrrhhaahg Aarghhh Arrrhh 
“Okay Iko, you’re asking for it.” 
I push his shoulders down, press on his snout. 
Grahmmg Rrahgg 
Iko jerks his head free and snaps at my wrist 
but I grab him by a back leg 
and spank his hind-quarters. 
“Rub-a-dub-a-dub.” 
Ghrrarr Rrahrr 
Iko snaps, I give him a poke. 
Over he goes onto his back. 
Whrahhrrr Arghhaah 
Bouncing this way and that, 
kicking his legs in the air, 
Ggrrhhm grraahh 
I punch him gently in the ribs. 
“Take that, Mister.” 
Iko twists all 22 pounds back and forth 
and tries to bite my forearm. 
Brrggg Rrufff Rff Rff 
He rolls back onto his feet 
and shakes his head. 
Grrahh Rrgghhh 
Grips my right hand in his mouth. 
“Ouch. Not so rough, Buster.” 
I shove my knuckles against his teeth. 
Iko twists and turns, backs up and growls. 
Rrahgga rhurgg 
And so it goes, on and on, 
until we finally get tired. 
“Okay, let’s go.”
 Iko leaps down onto the carpet 
 and out we head for our morning walk. 
 Rmmff Grahhrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment