Monday, June 6, 2022

THE END

 

A woman’s voice, barely a whisper, 
“Time to close him down.” 
A still softer voice grunts assent. 
Then a loud screeching sound
like a rusty metal door 
scraping across coarse paving stones, 
fading into an empty black void, 
no sound, no touch, no sensation, 
until a brightly lit portal opens
and my comatose body is being 
propelled through space, 
a kaleidoscope of brilliant colors 
flashing on every side. 
Suddenly a burst of dazzling white rays, 
and a second portal opens, 
giving way to a gentle meadow, 
golden flowers swaying in the breeze, 
hummingbirds and butterflies. 
A familiar voice calls out, 
"We’ve been waiting.” 
My father is alive, 
a young and handsome man, 
my mother standing with him, 
so beautiful. 
The three of us embrace, 
I never dared to dream 
that I could be whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment