Saturday, January 18, 2020

Beasts of the Night

The close of dusk, I lit my fire
Moonless and darkening
though the crown of evergreen branches
spread its design across the gray-blue sky
Burning pine logs crackled and spit
shooting out sparks which spun to the grass
then flickered and disappeared
By nine o’clock the world had turned pitch black
I called my wife on my cell phone
and told her it was eery, even scary
The park was deserted, no lights, no sounds
A good stomping ground for rural thugs or killers
Just then, a growling noise
I looked to my right
and saw two pairs of eyes
glowing red from the firelight
Then black masks, white snouts, pointy ears
A pair of large raccoons 
side by side, standing at attention
thirty feet away, staring at me
I felt my heart pounding
“Get out of here!” I screamed
“Get out of here!”
“Get out of here!”
So loud I even frightened myself
But the raccoons stood their ground
My wife said over the phone
“When raccoons growl they are rabid”
“Please get in the car, please lock the doors”
A third raccoon appeared
around the edge of the picnic table.
“Get away, get away!” I shouted
clenching my fists, nails digging into my palms
But he too stood unperturbed
knowing his raccoon family owned the campground 
I got up from my chair, retreated to my tent
pulled the zipper tight, tied it shut with a twist tie
I heard pots and pans clanging
A box of kitchen stuff crashed to the ground
And then eventually quiet
Later the beasts of the night
wandered in and out of my dreams


No comments:

Post a Comment