Thursday, September 12, 2019

Inner Voices/Outer Audiences

I went to hear the visiting poet 
She explained she is most herself 
When alone in a room
Alone and writing a poem
Poetry is the outlet for one’s inner voice
This public appearance, she said, means nothing 
Just a lot of flim and flam 
A put-on self that others should not trust 
To know her true self, this visitor said, read her poetry 

This sounded reasonable
For a moment
Sort of
But I wasn’t convinced
I learned a lot from her public appearance
What she looks like, how she sounds, what she laughs at
Her mannerisms, her quirks
Her enthusiasms, her antipathies
More than I got from the poems she read     

And I’m not certain that one’s inner voice 
Winds up unedited in one’s poetry
Writers, I believe, always write with an audience in mind  
Sometimes specific 
Usually more vague and general
But I doubt we are ever alone in a room

For myself, I tailor what I write to that imagined audience
Perhaps looking for acceptance or appreciation
There are many things I never say
I avoid politics and social controversies
For fear of offending this person or that
Likewise for religion, God, the afterlife 
Sex is too intimate a topic for me 
Secrets about my family
Hurtful things
I shuffle forth with the tried and true  

My inner voice, I fear, winds up rather bland
Constrained by taboos and rules of political correctness
I could, of course, write secret poems 
Just for myself 
That never see the light of day
But my in-house censor would still be busy at work 
There are countless things about myself I never want to know  


No comments:

Post a Comment