Friday, March 15, 2019

Creatures From Our Youth: Six Shadorma*

The Elusive Pine Snake

Six feet long
Lazing in the sun
Slinks along
Ribs so strong
Pine snake’s jaunt has just begun
Never captured one

The Mosquito’s Demise

Thief in flight
Searching for red blood
Finds its site
Poised to bite
I smack that bandit, Whack!  Thud!
Messy end to fight 

The Dog’s Lesson 

Porcupine
Nests high in the oak
Set to dine
Twigs and vine
Gives our dog a painful poke
Quills in nose, huge whine 

The Fearsome Snapping Turtle 

Jaws of steel
Swims past us at dusk 
So surreal 
Fear we feel
Ancient creature, massive, brusque
Eyes us for his meal

Bloodsucker Invasion 

On my shin
My legs or my toes
Breaks the skin
Sucks blood in
Then it hides out in my clothes
Much to my chagrin

The Bat Scare 

Flies through room 
Our mom calls for aid 
Dive and zoom
Grab the broom 
Get him, Steve is unafraid 
Swift bat meets his doom 

*Similar to a haiku, a shadorma is a six-line poem with 3, 5, 3, 3, 7, and 5 syllables per line.  It can be rhymed or unrhymed.  



No comments:

Post a Comment