Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The First Day of Classes

Autumn quarter had just begun
I was gathering myself in my office
They assigned me to teach Geology Two
I knew nothing about it, felt nauseous

I looked at my watch, it was 9:58
My class was scheduled for ten
 I frantically searched for some lecture notes
Finding none, I grabbed paper and pen

I raced across campus to find my room
But they’d locked the entire first floor
I called the office to get some help
They sent me to Room 404

Now  it was seventeen after ten
 Over half of my students had left
I nodded to the class and hemmed and hawed
I had trouble even catching my breath

My topic for the day — the origin of earth
This was something I knew nothing about
I told a feeble joke about getting drunk
The back row stood up and walked out

The rest of the class just stared at me
They were shocked that their teacher was a fraud
My face turned red and my heart was pounding
My whole being was visibly flawed

I said a few words about summer vacation
I wanted to scream, “Please stay here”
More of the students were packing their books
I too wished that I could disappear

Finally there was only one student left
A red-haired young woman with glasses
She said she hoped I’d get better
Geology was the worst of her classes

At that very moment I woke from my dream
There weren’t any students in sight
I haven’t taught a class for umpteen years
You’d think I’d be over the fright 


No comments:

Post a Comment