Saturday, October 21, 2017

Clark Kent on the Analyst's Couch

My life, such a tragic beginning
When Krypton was blasted to bits 
My father sent me off in a rocket ship,  
My whole race then perished in the blitz 

I was rescued in a wheat field in Kansas
By Martha and Jonathan Kent
They adopted me as their only child
And taught me what rightfulness meant

By age three I’d discovered my powers
I could toss a cow up in the air 
The Kents were completely astonished
Though my strength also made them beware  

They trained me to hide my abilities
Masquerading as a plain Kansas youth 
My destiny, they explained, was to aid humankind
As the guardian of justice and truth 

In adulthood I lead two disparate lives
I’m Clark Kent for most of the day 
Earnest reporter at the Daily Planet 
I seek facts and sniff out foul play 

“Clark Kent”, as you know, is simply a front
He’s the human I claim that I am
Mild-mannered, gentle, ungainly
Convincing even though Clark’s a sham 

My real self earthlings call Superman
I switch to my costume in a crisis 
As the Man of Steel, I fight doers of evil
The murderers, the crooks, and now Isis 

I can lift up a trolley with just one hand
Race faster than a speeding train
Machine gun bullets bounce off  of my chest
Children think I’m a bird or a plane 

To keep my identity secret
There’s no one to whom I get close
As Clark, I lead a most lonely life 
My true self I never disclose

I constantly worry they’ll see through Clark Kent
My disguise, just a blue suit and glasses 
Superman and Clark are identical twins
Just one slip, I’d be known to the masses  

As Superman, I’m still more lonesome than Clark
I fight every battle on my own
I have no peers and no intimates
Disaster and violence are all that I’ve known

I do have a soft spot for Lois Lane
I’m enamored of her spirit and beauty 
But I never show Lois my feelings
Love’s sadly not part of my duty

That’s the whole of my life, dear Dr. Freud
All the burdens of a dual personality
Both of my selves are estranged from the world 
My sole wish — just one speck of normality 




No comments:

Post a Comment